The Water Cooler

Not just another whiny liberal blog.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Go see Chappelle's Block Party

I don't go to the movies very often because I don't particularly like movies. They're too expensive, too expansive, and very rarely seem to be worth the 2 hours of my life. That said, I love Dave Chappelle and have always been impressed with Michel Gondry's work. When I heard that the pair had teamed up on a concert film featuring some of my favorite artists in the hip-hop game, I was excited. The movie did not disappoint. If you like Chappelle, go see it. If you like Gondry, go see it. If you like music, go see it. Most importantly, go see it if you don't like hip-hop and rap. You might just change your mind.

Block Party is like a modern Woodstock. It's like the Woodstock movie without all of the psychedelic drugs, over-dramatized politics, and overstuffed, self-indulgent musical performances.* However, it is similarly significant for being a subcultural snapshot. As a concert movie it is incredibly adept at illustrating how much this music means to the people behind the event and in the crowd. Don't get me wrong, there are some politics in the movie. Chappelle is fantastic at examining issues of race and class. I read a review that said Chappelle uses comedy to make the political issues more palatable. I don't agree with that. Chappelle's concern isn't making the politics easier to swallow or lessening the blow of reality. His goal is to use comedy to make the entire film engaging. You don't have to necessarily feel bad about the harsh facts of life as long as you understand them and are aware that they're wrong.

Like any movie worth $9.50, Block Party leaves the viewer feeling like he has experienced something great. Afterwards, I felt more happy, enlightened, and excited than when I went in. Chappelle's enthusiasm and passion are infectious. The music is great although none of the artists get the camera time that they deserve. All in all, it beats a manipulative piece of crap like "Crash" any day of the week.


*By the way, with Martin Scorsese as a lead editor, it's no small wonder that Woodstock is over 3 hours long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home